2 Vaginal Births, A Cesarean, & A VBAC! - VBAC Interview


-So, I would love for you to first give a brief rundown of your first birth/s and what you feel like happened and why you had a c-section.  

My first 2 births were induced for various reasons (#1 I was 42+3 and didn't know any better, was pressured into an induction. Baby was born 9lb 2oz after 4 hours and an episiotomy). Baby 2 was induced at 37+2 because my waters had been leaking for 2 weeks and they were afraid of infection. I didn't realize they were only hind waters and allowed myself to be pressured into unnecessary induction. Baby 3, my daughter. Her waters broke in a huge gush at 30+3, stinking like rotten eggs. Rushed by ambulance to hospital, where they didn't seem to care, my water turned yellow overnight. They monitored me on the ctg, I had several contractions over the day. I also began to get very ill - temp went up, nauseous... but they still waited. I could have been induced, but they didn't care. Eventually they said it was obvious I had an infection (it turned out I had a uterine infection before my waters broke anyway) and they took me up for an emergency caesarean. Baby was born breathing, but my uterus and placenta were yellow with infection. they said 12 more hours, maximum, and my daughter would have been born still. She was taken away with me barely seeing her, and she spent the next 28 days in hospital. My recovery was slow and hard, I was very ill from the infection for days, and spent 10 days in hospital. I didn't mind being in hospital, as I was closer to my daughter and could see her any time.

-What made you desire a VBAC ? This is almost unheard of these days.

I wanted a VBAC because I'd had 2 vaginal births before my c/s, and knew that not only could I birth naturally (and easily!) but also I did not want another c/s unless it was needed.

-How did you find a care provider who would support you?

 I got myself a doula, and my local hospital pretended to be supportive (when they really weren't, they made my life hell, even through labour). But my doula was my strength :) My GP/OB was also supportive, it was just the hospital that was the problem.

-What was labor like for you?  

I went to 41 weeks, and the hospital told me at 40 weeks I would be booked for a caesarian. I told them not, went went past 40 weeks, and they said 41 weeks was the limit, and c/s booked for the day of 41 weeks. I was a single mother with 3 children at home, I didn't have the luxury of someone to mind them for a week stay in hospital, and not being able to drive for 6 weeks. So again I refused. I was checked and was effaced and dilating, so I agreed to having my waters broken on the Friday. There would be no drip - I had to be in labour or birthed by 5pm of c/s (my doula and I agreed we would cross that bridge and refuse again when we came to it). Waters broken at 7am, my doula arrived at 7.30am and we walked and walked. The hospital grounds are quite lovely, and it was a warm Septembers day, the start of spring :) By around 1pm I couldn't walk any more, so my gp/ob checked me and I was 6cm dilated. Now the stress was I had to dilate 1cm an hour...I refused monitoring and got in the shower, making it dark. My doula dealt with the midwives and Dr's demanding monitoring, and around 3.20pm I got out, lay on the mattress on the floor and pushed! 4 huge pushes later my 10lb 4oz son was born into my hands and pulled straight onto my chest :)The labour was intense but manageable. I was eased into the contractions and by the time I felt like I couldn't handle the pain any more, it was time to push :)

-What helped you do this?  

I Contribute the success of my vbac to my beautiful doula Alina. She was my strength throughout the whole thing. She has since attended my HBAC almost 2 years after my VBAC :)

-How did you prepare for your VBAC?  

Research!! I read so much, also reading lots of birthing stories helped me feel stronger :)

- Has the postpartum experience been different than your other births? What about it surprised you?  

I was on such a HIGH!! I felt amazing, didn't even get the blues. I felt so great I couldn't wait to do it again!

Comments