50 Things I'll Miss Someday....

I know I am guilty of not appreciating the "moments".  Though I am sure you lack this problem, I thought I would share some of the thoughts that ran through my brain today.  It was a long day, and I was turning into crazy mom right around eight pm (as usual, the medication must wear off?  I don't know!).  But still, I need to focus on the good. 

So, here is a short list of things I will miss someday.  My goal, is to enjoy them more TODAY.

Love to you mamas-

1) Tiny little hand dimples...when do those disappear?  So adorable.
2) Wispy baby hair.
3) Sucking while they are asleep.
4) Little eyelashes.
5) No embarrassment about any bodily functions or pooched bellies.
6) Playing with toes.
7) People who think I am gorgeous and hug-able at any time. 
8) Fearless girls who are oddly afraid to go potty with a spider in the room.
9) Top speed sudden sprints to the bathroom.  "I need to go POTTY!"
10) Fat toes.
11) Wobbly standing.
12) Little hands holding my face.
13) "Mom.  Mom.  Mom.  Mom.  Mom.  Mom."  (You get the picture.)
14) An entourage.  Just like I am JLo.
15) People who like my company SO much that they would even love to have a conversation with me while I sat on the toilet.
16) People who are genuinely crushed if I have to go anywhere without them.  (Note, this doesn't make me happy- it is just...sweet.)
17) Rosebud lips.
18) Being needed, and having people who think they need me.
19) True love that always forgives.
20) Sheer joy in all of life's simple things.
21) Pure honesty.  "Did you do XYZ?!" says mom.  "Yes," says shamefaced child.  I love that they tell the truth.
22) But it is still pretty cute when they fib to get out of trouble.  They are each so different, some would never dream of doing that- others do.   
23) Watching how different each child is.  It is like glimpsing a pure spirit.
24) The grip of a baby on our arm. 
25) Rooting.
26) Leg hugs.
27) "CAN I HELP?!"
28) The play ball explodes.  They aren't upset.  They wear the pieces as a hat. 
29) Crinkled sucked thumbs.
30) "UP!"
31) Sweaty baby hair.
32) A child's sincere prayer.
33) When they do something good.
34) Their pride when they learn.
35) When they comfort each other.
36) That moment when I finally see a child do something that I actually did- and it isn't something EMBARRASSING.  It is something I did right.  Then I think- maybe I am not screwing up everything. 
37) Baby sleep sounds.
38) Nursing.
39) Sleeping tummy to tummy.
40) Baby sighs.
41) Baby breath.
42) I might actually miss cloth diapers.....
43) Feeling like I matter to somebody. 
44) Teeny, tiny fingernails.
45) Curled toes.
46) Skinny baby legs.
47) Newborn skin.
48) That smell.
49) Smiles.
50) Watching them love their baby dolls.

There are many more, but I need to get to bed.  What are yours? 

(Did I just do a post that was the polar opposite of this one?  Yes I did.  I am moody.  What can I say?)

Comments

Avtar Ram Kaur said…
I miss cloth nappies! My daughter self-trained about a month and a half ago (she's only 24 months, slow down, kid) and I actually had a small mourning period over the fact. She is growing up so fast! It is a huge marker of babyhood that is gone.

I'm glad she still nurses, although I can't imagine my sadness when that ends. She's my oldest nursling yet.
Kiza said…
Ooooooh, wow, did I need to hear this tonight. I think the medication DOES wear off around 8pm. That always seems to be about when the wheels fall off at our house and, once they're (finally) sleeping peacefully, I feel SUCH guilt about having gotten cranky. :( It's always so amazing that they're so excited to see me again in the morning. Or, at 3am. ;)
Sarah said…
I'll miss my baby's huge smile when I get her out of her crib first thing in the morning. If she's anything like me, it won't be long before I'll have to drag her out of bed. :)
AmandaRuth said…
talking to you while on the toliet LOL - love that!!

also rooting.. too darn cute!
Jess Smith said…
This made me bawl (silently - don't want to wake the baby lying beside me!) and I can say I really needed this. My addition: Warm, tiny hands flailing about in sleep until they land on skin (arm, tummy, boob) and then the gentle caresses as they fall back asleep. "She's still here. Good."
Jess Smith said…
This made me bawl (silently - don't want to wake the baby lying beside me!) and I can say I really needed this. My addition: Warm, tiny hands flailing about in sleep until they land on skin (arm, tummy, boob) and then the gentle caresses as they fall back asleep. "She's still here. Good."
Butterflyden said…
Hearing my lil man giggle from his crib and when I walk in the room seeing the biggest smile in the world, arms held up, followed by "mama"
FAT baby thighs with roll after roll of kissable chub.

Two tiny teeth that brighten that gummy smile even more.

Curling into my neck when they get shy.