Homemade Laundry Detergent


Here is the recipe I use to make my laundry soap. It doesn't have much to do with natural birth but it does save tons of money, it is more natural than store bought soaps, and I did get it from my Bradley teacher!

Enjoy!

3 oz Bar of soap or Zote
1 C Borax
1/2 C Super Washing Soda (different than baking soda)
Essential oil for scent (I use lavender but it is optional)
Water

Tools-
4 or 5 gallon container
Knife
Pot
Long Spoon

Pour 5 Cups of water into pot on stove and heat till almost boiling. Cut up or grate the bar of soap and add to heated water, stir until the soap is totally dissolved.

When soap is melted, pour 3 gallons HOT tap water into the 5 gallon bucket. Add your melted soap mixture to the bucket of water. Mix, then add the 1/2 cup super washing soda and stir until dissolved.

Once the soda is dissolved, add the borax and stir until dissolved. You can add your fragrance now too if desired.

Cover the container and place it somewhere it won't be disturbed. All it to cool over night. In the morning it will be a gel (though not totally uniformly)

You can put it in smaller containers. I leave some in the bucket and pull out a half gallon or so at a time to keep in a jar by my washer.

About 1/2 cup is fine for a regular load, more for a large load.

Works fine in high efficiency washing machines but break up the clumps first.

This takes me maybe 20 minutes to make and I makes some every few months. I love this!!!

Comments

Donna Ryan said…
Apparently you like it. I've been using it for almost 2 years. Love it. I don't add essential oils to it. Can you really smell it?
Mychel said…
I use this too although I've never added the oils, but will. I put a little Downey fabric softner in it.
Living Lavallee said…
Here's a link for a powder kind that you don't have to cook. We did it in RS before. Sometimes farm stores carry the Fels Naptha soap; it's good if you can get a group to go in on a case of it. It's a lot easier to make, especially with a food processor. And, you do only use 1 T of it.