Pitocin, How I Hate Thee, Let Me Count The Ways...

Oh Pitocin, how I hate thee, let me count the ways...

-I hate how many women I meet who think they could never ever in a million years handle a natural birth because they had a Pit induction and they think that is what real labor is like....

-I hate how many babies are born C-section because they "distress" because of you...

-I hate how you have turned obstetrics in to a 9-5 job...

-I hate how easy you make it for women and doctors to "schedule" their "deliveries"...

-I hate that more and more babies are born too early because of you...

-I hate that so many of those early babies and mothers struggle with breastfeeding because of you...

-I hate to hear women say that they "have" to be induced with you because they just "don't go into labor on their own"...

-I hate how many people "need" epidurals because of you...

-I hate that you are used to start labor...

-I hate that you are used to "augment" labor that starts on its own...

-I hate the impression you give a mother every time you are used that she just can't quite labor on her own, she needs a little help from science....

-I hate hearing from nurses and doctors that you are somehow the same thing as naturally occurring oxytocin...

-I hate to imagine how the IV drip of you adversely affects the brain of a newborn that should be getting natural oxytocin from rhythmic natural contractions...

-I hate that you have changed a natural process into something that can supposedly be "controlled" and "regulated" for the convenience of all involved....

-I hate how you loom like a threat over every laboring mother in every hospital in this country....

-I hate that you increase jaundice in the newborn and all the problems associated with that....

-I hate that you are given often after birth, just because...

-I hate that you are ever used except for in the most extreme situations...


-I hate that so many babies now have their birth dates picked when mom is 20 weeks pregnant...


-I hate that you turn what can be a beautiful, orgasmic, and amazing experience, into something to be feared...

Comments

Jill said…
I hate that you rob moms and babies of a post-birth euphoria that can only be wrought when the naturally occuring cocktail of hormones is allowed to wash over the body! Pitocin may replicate the contractions caused by oxytocin, but it does not bring the "birth high" that oxytocin can provide!
Mandy said…
I hate that I think back on my daughter's birth as a nightmare and suffer PTSD like symptoms instead of looking back on it with happiness.
Mama Birth said…
UGH!!! So sorry mama! These things matter so much!
mystic_eye_cda said…
You forgot the "frequently given without knowledge or consent"... I think it was Odent who said that if Pitocin were blue you would see it in almost every IV in the labor ward (in the US, I am sure some countries aren't completely evil, really, I want to believe that ok?)

Also I love the waiver you have to sign if you refuse it after the baby is born to "prevent hemorrhage" that makes it sound like they aren't going to do anything if you start bleeding to death. If I start bleeding to death then we can discuss options
Saponaria said…
Having started to "bleed to death" just less than a week ago I can assure you that you will not be up for discussing options at the time...
Susan said…
I was one who was given Pitocen due to the wonderful (insert sarcasm)hospital policy of my water breaking.

Even though it was so hard, I managed to labor and push epidural free. That I am proud to say. The problem is that I was still in so much pain after he was born I wanted nothing to do with him. I didn't even want to hold my son.
After having preemies the first time, all I ever wanted was the experience of having my baby placed on my chest and to immediatly start breastfeeding. Not so much to ask.

Friends say that I should be proud. That they can't believe that I was able to go without an epidural. I don't feel pride, I feel regret. I feel like I missed out on what could have been such an amazing experience. If only I had known what I know now and waited to go to the hospital. Maybe just maybe my contractions would have started on their own. Then maybe I could have had my "birth high" instead of wanting nothing to do with my only son.

I hate you pitocin.