Slow-cooker Chicken With Homemade BBQ Sauce

From Photobucket
I love this BBQ chicken recipe.  My hubby loves it, the kids like it and it is hardly any work.  I just throw everything in my crock pot in the morning and it is beautiful in time for dinner.  You can make it with a pork roast or beef too if you wanted but I usually just use boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Here it is:

1 pork roast or 4 or 5 chicken breasts (depending on the size of your family)
2 Tb liquid smoke (I almost never have this in my pantry so I usually leave it out.)
1 C ketchup
1/4 C Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup vinegar (I always use apple cider vinegar)
1 C brown sugar
1 Tb chili powder (as spicy as you want it)
Pinch celery seed
1 C water
1/2 ts salt
1/4 ts pepper

Place everything in the slow cooker on high and cover and allow to cook for about 6 hours.  Turn down to low, pull apart the meat and let cook until dinner time (a few more hours).  You can add some cornstarch if you want to thicken it.

I always make this with super unhealthy but yummy homemade, white, pan rolls.   Pan rolls are pretty easy to make and difficult to screw up.  If you are gluten-free or something you can put it on rice instead.  I love it with steamed cabbage on the side.  (I just love steamed cabbage and this probably isn't a universal feeling, so obviously just do whatever.)

You could totally do this with just store bought BBQ sauce and it would be even easier but this tastes so much better and is worth the little effort (and no corn syrup if you buy healthier ketchup.)

I hope you love it! 

Comments

momto5 said…
that sounds great. i love doing a sort of round roast in the slow cooker with BBQ sauce, but i use store bought. this sounds better. i am going to give it a try.
C. Beth said…
I've got this in my CrockPot today. I made it several months ago when you first posted it, and we LOVED it! It was a big hit. Thanks so muc!