Birth, With a Little Help From Dad

Another great birth story!  There is a light out there ladies!  I love how wonderful and helpful dad is in this story.  Those guys are important aren't they?
Enjoy!

I went into labor 4 days before my due date. I started losing my plug and having mild contractions at about 9 p.m. I called my midwives to let them know, and they encouraged me to rest and relax as much as possible. My contractions were still about 10-15 minutes apart, and my husband and I spent the night relaxing at home.

The next day I labored at home, contractions still ranging from 7-12 minutes apart. I took a hot shower, played with my dogs, and spent time on my hands and knees when a contraction got intense. By the evening hours my contractions had started to pick up in intensity. I spent a great deal of time on my hands and knees or standing and rocking side to side.

Our house was quiet and calm, and I appreciated being able to labor in my own way. By 4 a.m. my contractions were consistently about 5-7 minutes apart and difficult to talk through. We called our midwives and met them at the birthing center. They had a beautiful little room all ready for me, with a hot tub already drawn and the lights dimmed. My husband and I spent the next few hours laboring quietly in our little room. We cat napped, held each other, laughed about how the Celtic music made me feel like Braveheart :)

The midwives gave us long stretches of privacy, and when they entered the room to check on us they were so kind and respectful. I labored in the tub (which was absolutely amazing) and on my hands and knees. At about 10 a.m. I was fully dilated and effaced, and I decided to have them break my water. Shortly after I starting having the urge to push. I had a moment of doubting my ability to push Dylan out, and the midwives reminded me "of course you can!"

My husband helped the midwives deliver my son, and watching the absolute awe on his face and tears streaming down his cheeks as he beamed and told me all about the hair on his little head as he was crowning was amazing. My husband helped birth our son Dylan, and then laid him on my belly. We laughed and cried, and the midwives put a warm towel over us and let us bond. It was the most beautiful, intense, intimate moment of my life.

I am so grateful that I got to experience bringing my son into the world in a peaceful, respectful environment... and the women at Matsu Midwifery are among my favorite people for this very reason :)  I cannot wait for the experience of giving birth again, and I am absolutely planning a home birth for our next addition!

Comments

Becci said…
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!